As authors, we all have our websites. More often than not, however, they fail to generate much interest. Most of our posts languish unnoticed and unread. Some writers resort to ads to garner traffic. Others prefer organic—i.e. unpaid—traffic, as our marketing budgets tend to be pretty tight.
This is where SEO, or Search Engine Optimization, comes in. In a nutshell, SEO covers anything that encourages search engines to place your website higher on their search engine results pages (SERP). Authors looking to attract organic traffic often have to daily go through the tweaks of SEO-friendly content.
Writing SEO-friendly content
The basis of writing SEO-friendly content is using the right keywords for your audience. By including appropriate, well-researched keywords and keyphrases, you help search engines understand what you’re all about. Consequently, you will rank higher for that kind of audience.
It’s no surprise, then, that a large part of my freelance SEO copywriting revolves around keywords, from how to research them to how to best incorporate them into my copy.
Writing SEO-friendly content, however, goes beyond finding the right keywords. We need to write content that our audience will enjoy reading.
Here are some SEO content tools you may find handy, whether you’re trying to generate more traffic to your author website or you’re writing for clients.
Why is it necessary to use SEO tools?
For some people, writing quality content is easy. They just have a way with words and transform their keywords into gold.
For most of us, however, crafting and polishing our content requires time and effort, especially when we have to phrase our content according to SEO guidelines.
Uses of SEO content tools
Using SEO content tools takes the guesswork out of creating good content, which makes it easy to achieve your goals. Specifically, it:
- Helps in ranking higher in SERPs
- Helps in optimizing according to the targeted keywords
- Helps in crafting great content
- Helps in writing according to our audience’s level
- Helps save time, letting us focus on other things
- Helps in attracting more leads by targeting them more efficiently
- Helps in getting effective and on-time results
- Helps in ranking on the first page of Google search results
Ranking on the first page of search results means more visibility and more traffic, which means more book sales!
Here are the top 10 SEO tools that authors may find helpful.
Top 10 SEO tools that are helpful for authors
1. Answer the Public
Answer the Public is a search cloud; one of the best tools for ideas generation.
If you ever run out of ideas for your blog, it can help you answer questions such as:
- What should we write?
- Who should we write for?
- How can we write?
- Which subheadings are important?
- Why should users read it?
Simply just type in a broad term and Answer the Public will pop up the relevant search terms users are searching over the internet.
2. Ahrefs Keyword Explorer
The start of SEO copywriting is finding a keyword. Ahrefs keyword explorer is a smart choice when coming to discover keywords relevant to our niche.
- In-depth information on each keyword
- It shows the search volume
- How many searchers click on a keyword?
- First-page competition
- It tells you exactly how many backlinks you require to rank on the first page of Google.
3. Article rewriter
Article rewriter is a text spinner. It suggests alternative ways of saying something, thus providing writing inspiration.
- Provides high-quality content in just a few minutes
- Uses modern algorithms that don’t change the meaning of the writing
- Highlights words and replaces them with synonyms
- Enriched database to suggest multiple options
- Helps in saving time and guesswork.
Not strictly an SEO tool, but still one of my favorite tools, Grammarly helps your text shine and lets you avoid annoying typos and grammar issues.
- It helps enhance detailed writing
- It helps adjust the tone of the message
- It helps in vocabulary enhancements
- It follows the universal standard of English, which is very helpful for non-native authors.
Buzzsumo is a popular tool that allows us to write content according to the audience’s trending topics.
- Helps in content creation
- Helps in topic discovery
- Helps in monitoring our content
- Helps in marketing our content
- Helps in competitor analysis. See how your competition reaches the target audience and what mediums they use.
Simple text reading can be boring from the user’s end. For visual enhancement, you don’t need to hire a graphic designer: Canva gives us a wealth of options.
- A wide range of templates to start with
- The ability to create our layouts and designs
- Custom social media buttons, logos, graphics
- Photo editing
- Built-in cover pages for e-books
- The ability to develop print media
- The ability to create presentations
- Built-in templates are designed to meet the dimensions of most media.
7. CoSchedule Headline analyzer
The CoSchedule headline analyzer tool is useful in optimizing your headlines according to SEO rules.
- Shows you how well your headline performs
- Suggests tips on how to improve the headline
- Helps in optimizing the length for greater SEO value
- Suggests power words to use to grab the attention of your audience
- Helps in giving us tips about emotional language to engage the audience.
Using high-quality images is essential for any content. However, it drags down the speed, which is bad as far as SEO is concerned.
TinyPNG is a helpful tool to compress the size of the image while maintaining the pixel quality.
- Helps in resizing an image
- Helps in bulk image compression
- It sharpens image quite naturally
- The simple drag-and-drop feature provides a user-friendly interface
Ommwriter provides you with a quiet space to work. It lets you cut off the world and just let the words flow.
- It provides you with an all-private writing space
- Increases focus and concentration while writing any piece of content
- It offers different background designs and soothing sounds
- Helps in blocking distractions.
- Helps in sharing files in the general formats.
Evernote is a personal notebook that you can carry anywhere, on any device, without worrying about finding a book or a paper to write your thoughts.
- Very helpful in organizing your daily tasks
- By using inbuilt sticky notes, you can prioritize our assignments
- Easy-to-share notes with your co-workers
- It allows attaching pictures and docs to any note
- Helps in setting reminders for projects, deadlines, etc.
Whether you’re a fiction author, SEO copywriter, freelance writer, or non-fiction author, you will need people to visit your website. Hopefully, these tools will make that easier. Happy writing!