Baby is one of the more unusual books I’ve read, combining strong elements from two genres seldom seen together: western and science fiction. There is a whole lot of other influences, though, including thriller; romance; environmentalism; religion and philosophy.
Not your typical sci-fi series, then, and it’s fascinating to read.
Accinni does a great job at transporting the reader into a Wild West-meets-Al Capone kind of city, that features a bootlegging villain, an innocent, long-suffering girl, an unlikely meeting between her and a kindly alien, and a traveler whose arrival cannot help but stir all sorts of trouble. The resolution is unusual, to say the least, as it ventures into metaphysics, leaving more questions asked than answered.
Having read some of the more vitriolic comments, I was surprised to find only a small amount of violence and gore – and certainly much less than, say, a Patterson best-seller. I don’t know if the next books in the series are that different, but I’m looking forward to reading them.
The series has won a number of prestigious awards and distinctions, including:
- Winner of Book Junkie’s Choice Awards 2013 for Best New Series Fiction
- Winner of Book Junkie’s Choice Awards 2013 for Best SciFi
- Winner of Awesome Trilogy/Series of The Year 2013
- Voted #1 on 14 Goodreads lists!! #1 – Just Plain Awesome Books, #1 – Books That Are Worth Your Time, #1- Fantasy and SciFi to Read Before You Die, #1 – Books I stayed Up All Night Reading, #1 – Awsome Action, #1 – Science Fiction, Fantasy Books For Summer Reading, #1 – Books You’ll Never Put Away, #1- Best Fantasy and Sci fi books, #1-Great Books Not Nearly Enough People Read, #1-Indie Authors To Watch.
- #1- Page Turners, #1- Indie Writers Unite, #1- Books I Own , #1-What I Want To Read This Summer, #1- Eye Catching Titles.
On a final note, you can get the first three books of the Species Intervention anthology for free on Amazon!
This is such a fantastic review Nic. Thank you
A pleasure as always! 🙂