Last week, I started attending Creating Great Villians, a great workshop on villains from OIRWA – the Outreach International Romance Writers Chapter of RWA®. Taught by Rayne Hall, one of my favorite writing aids authors, it is just one of four courses OIRWA offers this month:
- Promoting your Book Bootcamp: this class will show you how to put a marketing and promotion plan into action even before your book is released.
- How to Write a Romance Novel: a short course for those thinking about writing a romance novel but not sure if it’s for them or even where to start. It covers the very basics of plot, characterization, dialogue, POV and writing a synopsis. Ideal for the beginning writer or one who wants a refresher course.
- Creating Great Villians: Learn to create a villain whom your readers will remember for the rest of their lives. Forget the stereotype with the ugly laugh and stinking hot breath who commits evil for evil’s sake. Your villains will have personality, ideals, conflicts, and feelings. Their single-minded pursuit of what they consider a noble cause will challenge your heroes and chill your readers. One month, twelve lessons, twelve assignments with feedback.
- Back Cover Copy: fantastic techniques for taking the pain out of writing those three dreaded paragraphs.
All courses are very reasonably priced, with prices ranging from $25 to $65.
More Writing Courses
The workshops continue through the rest of the year, including classes on:
- Writing a Synopsis Bootcamp
- Creating Unforgettable Worlds
- Promoting Your Book Bootcamp
- Writing Conflict
- Action and Suspense
- Writing Short Stories to Promote Your Novel
- Writing a Duelling Scene
- Anatomy of a Great Beginning
- Write a Scary Scene
- and much more.
As my experience so far has been very positive, I thought you may be interested, too. You can check out OIRWA’s courses and register online. Courses are taught on Groups.io using mainly a message board and emails.