I came across the following numbers on Ashley Barnes’ marketing blog and thought I’d share here as they may help you choose where to focus your book promotion efforts. Having said that, don’t forget my golden social media rule:
Don’t overextend. Focus on a couple of social media; the ones you feel more comfortable with.
Always take “success” stories like, “X author uses Y medium and is selling bucketloads of books” with a few pinches of salt (or even buckets, for that matter). We all have our own ways of promoting and what works for one won’t for another.
Number of Active Social Media Users (2019)
Anyway, here are the statistics for the current number of users of popular apps in 2019, ranked in order of popularity:
Specifically, the numbers are as follows:
- Facebook: 2.45 Billion monthly active users
- YouTube: 1.9 Billion users
- Instagram: 1 Billion monthly active users
- TikTok: 1 Billion users
- LinkedIn: over 610 million total members
- Tumblr: 555 million monthly active users
- Twitter: 320 million monthly active users
- Indeed.com: 250 million unique users monthly
Happy book marketing!