I was lucky enough to be sent an ARC for The Indie Writer’s Handbook by one of my favorite authors, David Wind. David has included a kind mention to this blog in his book, which is specifically aimed at Indies, hence the ARC.
“A great primer for new Indie authors (as well as ones who have been around and are wondering if they are doing everything they can to succeed). The easy, conversational style makes the fact that it is packed with information painless, the screenshot walk-thru’s of how to fill-out and accomplish various tasks online were a great idea – I’d definitely recommend!”
USA Today and WSJ Bestselling Indie Author Amy Vansant
David Wind is a Hybrid author with 40 books of fiction published both Traditionally and Independently. He is a member of the Authors Guild, The Mystery Writers of America, The Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America, Novelists Inc, and ALLi, and is the incoming President of the Florida Chapter of the MWA for 2020.
The Indie Writer’s Handbook
In his book, David explains that this handbook is NOT for people who are looking for information on:
- How To Write a Best Seller
- How To Find an Agent
- How To Find a Traditional Publisher
- How To Sell Tens of Thousands of Your Books Daily
- How To Market Your Books and Make a Fortune
However, it IS perfect for people who are looking for information on being, or becoming, an independently published professional writer. It covers everything, from editing to book cover to formatting. Here’s the list of contents:
- STEP 1 The Final Draft—Or Is It?
- STEP 2 Pre-Formatting for Editing
- STEP 3 Professional Editing
- STEP 4 The Book Cover
- STEP 5 Formatting for eBook and for online sale
- STEP 6 Formatting for Print Book sales online and in bookstores
- STEP 7 The ISBN (International Standard Book Number)
- STEP 8 The Copyright
- STEP 9 Publishing: Understanding Your Retail and Distribution Outlets
- STEP 10 Set up Publishing and Selling outlets
- STEP 11 Pre-Publishing Upload and Beta Readers
- STEP 12 Early marketing Strategies
- STEP 13 Reviewers and Reviews
- STEP 14 Preparing the Advertising / Promo Schedule (first and second quarters of the book’s release)
- STEP 15 The Launch
- STEP 16 Marketing, Indie Style
- STEP 17 Professional Organizations
- Resources and Author Services
At just $3.99, this is the perfect book for anyone interested in learning the secrets of the trade, as told by a seasoned author. If you’re in any way interested in Indie publishing, check it out on Amazon.