The information here comes mainly from a great post by Chris The Story-Reading Ape, Susan Toy’s posts on book marketing, as well as a few more sources. I added the links to make it easier for you to check out or buy the books.
* Books with an asterisk are only available in paperback.
First of all, a free resource, courtesy of our very own P.H. Solomon: recommended Reading for Writers.
Books on Publicity, Promotion and Marketing
- Author 101: Bestselling Book Publicity by Rick Frishman and Robyn Freedman Spizman (Adams Media, 2006)*
- Author’s Guide to Building an Online Platform: Leveraging the Internet to Sell More Books by Stephanie Chandler (Quill Driver Books, 2008)*
- Complete Guide to Book Marketing by David Cole (Allworth Press, 2003)
- Complete Guide to Book Publicity by Jodee Blanco (Allworth Press, 2004)
- Get Known Before the Book Deal: Use Your Personal Strengths to Grow An Author Platform by Christina Katz (Writer’s Digest Books, 2008)
- No-Nonsense Guide to Global Media by Peter Steven (Verso Books, 2003)
- Marketer’s Toolkit: The 10 Strategies You Need to Succeed by Harvard Business Essentials (Harvard Business School Press, 2006)*
- Plug Your Book: Online Book Marketing for Authors by Steve Weber (Weber Books, 2007)*
- Publicize Your Book! An Insider’s Guide to Getting Your Book the Attention It Deserves by Jacqueline Deval (Perigee, 2008)
- Red Hot Internet Publicity by Penny C. Sansevieri (Morgan-James, 2007)
- The Savvy Author’s Guide to Book Publicity by Lissa Warren (Carroll & Graf, 2004)
- Write That Book Already! The Tough Love You Need to Get Published Now by Sam Barry and Kathi Kamen Goldmark (Adams Media, 2010)
- Zen of Social Media Marketing: An Easier Way to Build Credibility, Generate Buzz, and Increase Revenue by Shama Hyder Kabani (BenBella Books, 2010)
Books on Networking, Social Media and Coping
- Networking for People Who Hate Networking: A Field Guide for Introverts, the Overwhelmed and the Underconnected by Devora Zack (Berrett-Koehler Publishers, 2010)
- Why Does My Book Not Sell? 20 Simple Fixes: Indie Publishing Success – Sell More Books (Writer’s Craft) by Rayne Hall, 2014
- Twitter for Writers: The Author’s Guide to Tweeting Success (Writer’s Craft) by Rayne Hall, 2014
- Shy Writer: An Introvert’s Guide to Writing Success by C. Hope Clark (Booklocker.com, Inc., 2004)*
Books on the Publishing Business and Books Sales
- The Long Tail: Why the Future of Business is Selling Less of More by Chris Anderson (Hyperion, 2008)
- The Perilous Trade: Book Publishing in Canada 1946-2006 by Roy MacSkimming (McClelland & Stewart, 2007)
- The Yellow-Lighted Bookshop: A Memoir, A History by Lewis Buzbee (Graywolf Press, 2006)
Great Books for Every Writer
- At Large and At Small: Familiar Essays by Anne Fadiman (Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 2007)
- Bird By Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life by Ann Lamott (Anchor, 1995)
- Burning Down the House: Essays on Fiction Charles Baxter (Graywolf Press, 2008)
- Forest For the Trees: An Editor’s Advice to Writers by Betsy Lerner (Riverhead Books, 2000)
- Reading Like a Writer: A Guide for People Who Love Books and for Those Who Want to Write Them by Francine Prose (Harper Perennial, 2006)
After reading all these great books, you may want to chill with my award-winning children’s book, Runaway Smile. It will only be free for a few more days – until the publication of Musiville!