The information here comes mainly from a great post by Chris The Story-Reading Ape, Susan Toy’s posts on book marketing, as well as a few more sources. I added the links to make it easier for you to check out or buy the books.
* Books with an asterisk are only available in paperback.
First of all, a free resource, courtesy of our very own P.H. Solomon: recommended Reading for Writers.
Books on Publicity, Promotion and Marketing
- Author 101: Bestselling Book Publicity by Rick Frishman and Robyn Freedman Spizman (Adams Media, 2006)*
- Author’s Guide to Building an Online Platform: Leveraging the Internet to Sell More Books by Stephanie Chandler (Quill Driver Books, 2008)*
- Complete Guide to Book Marketing by David Cole (Allworth Press, 2003)
- Complete Guide to Book Publicity by Jodee Blanco (Allworth Press, 2004)
- Get Known Before the Book Deal: Use Your Personal Strengths to Grow An Author Platform by Christina Katz (Writer’s Digest Books, 2008)
- No-Nonsense Guide to Global Media by Peter Steven (Verso Books, 2003)
- Marketer’s Toolkit: The 10 Strategies You Need to Succeed by Harvard Business Essentials (Harvard Business School Press, 2006)*
- Plug Your Book: Online Book Marketing for Authors by Steve Weber (Weber Books, 2007)*
- Publicize Your Book! An Insider’s Guide to Getting Your Book the Attention It Deserves by Jacqueline Deval (Perigee, 2008)
- Red Hot Internet Publicity by Penny C. Sansevieri (Morgan-James, 2007)
- The Savvy Author’s Guide to Book Publicity by Lissa Warren (Carroll & Graf, 2004)
- Write That Book Already! The Tough Love You Need to Get Published Now by Sam Barry and Kathi Kamen Goldmark (Adams Media, 2010)
- Zen of Social Media Marketing: An Easier Way to Build Credibility, Generate Buzz, and Increase Revenue by Shama Hyder Kabani (BenBella Books, 2010)
Books on Networking, Social Media and Coping
- Networking for People Who Hate Networking: A Field Guide for Introverts, the Overwhelmed and the Underconnected by Devora Zack (Berrett-Koehler Publishers, 2010)
- Why Does My Book Not Sell? 20 Simple Fixes: Indie Publishing Success – Sell More Books (Writer’s Craft) by Rayne Hall, 2014
- Twitter for Writers: The Author’s Guide to Tweeting Success (Writer’s Craft) by Rayne Hall, 2014
- Shy Writer: An Introvert’s Guide to Writing Success by C. Hope Clark (Booklocker.com, Inc., 2004)*
Books on the Publishing Business and Books Sales
- The Long Tail: Why the Future of Business is Selling Less of More by Chris Anderson (Hyperion, 2008)
- The Perilous Trade: Book Publishing in Canada 1946-2006 by Roy MacSkimming (McClelland & Stewart, 2007)
- The Yellow-Lighted Bookshop: A Memoir, A History by Lewis Buzbee (Graywolf Press, 2006)
Great Books for Every Writer
- At Large and At Small: Familiar Essays by Anne Fadiman (Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 2007)
- Bird By Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life by Ann Lamott (Anchor, 1995)
- Burning Down the House: Essays on Fiction Charles Baxter (Graywolf Press, 2008)
- Forest For the Trees: An Editor’s Advice to Writers by Betsy Lerner (Riverhead Books, 2000)
- Reading Like a Writer: A Guide for People Who Love Books and for Those Who Want to Write Them by Francine Prose (Harper Perennial, 2006)
After reading all these great books, you may want to chill with my award-winning children’s book, Runaway Smile. It will only be free for a few more days – until the publication of Musiville!
Thanks! I try 🙂
I know 🙂
Thanks for sharing this, Nicholas! I’m tucking it away so I can share it with some friends getting ready to publish.
Yay! Many thanks for sharing 🙂
Thanks for collaborating and putting this post together full of great links. I’ve shared and bookmarked! 🙂
Yay! Thank you, Deb 🙂
I need “Book Promotion on a Shoestring for Dummies.” Ha ha. Thanks for the great resource. I’ll have to do some browsing 🙂
Lol – I may just have to write that, some day 😀
You’d be rich! 😀
Excellent resources Nicholas!! Between you and Chris I can’t keep up with the Ape and the Dragon resources 🙂 😀 Haven’t forgotten the short story…will be emailing you today! Happy Halloween!
You too – and thanks!! 🙂
Excellent resource, Nicholas!
Thank you, Sue! I’m glad you found it useful 🙂
What can I say, Nicholas? That pretty much covers it!
Best wishes, Pete.
Lol – hardly, but thanks! 🙂
Reblogged this on Poetry by Pamela and commented:
Great resources for indie writers!
That’s a good list. Thanks for sharing, Nicholas. (Note to anyone using this list: Bear in mind that free books don’t necessarily remain free.)
Hi Rayne, thanks for the tip – and for the great books you’ve written on the subject 🙂
Reblogged this on Legends of Windemere and commented:
A great list of author resources.
Reblogged this on Books: Publishing, Reading, Writing and commented:
Thanks to Nicholas C. Rossis for reposting my reading list and adding more to it!
In the list for publicity, promotion and marketing, none of the books were written in the last five years. Are they still relevent? Some of them were written when MySpace was the only gig in town!
Good point. I’ll be sure to update with anything more relevant that comes my way 🙂
Reblogged this on Rachael Ritchey and commented:
A comprehensive list of available writer’s marketing resources. Too Cool.
Reblogged this on Chris The Story Reading Ape's Blog and commented:
Check out this GREAT post FULL of links to useful resources for authors & writers, published or about to be 😀